Globe articles on WCRB, WGBH

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Sat Dec 19 01:01:38 EST 2009

On 18 Dec 2009 at 11:51, raccoonradio@mail.com wrote:

> Today's Globe has articles on the "public radio war" between WBUR and
> WGBH, and WCRB's new identity. Note the comments on the latter; many
> complaints about the WCRB signal. Had the deal not been made to switch
> freqs with WKLB, classical fans might be enjoying "All Classical
> 102.5" today. As I noted, for many now it's "All Static 99.5"

I guess it depends on where you are.  No queston the WCRB signal
doesn't reach as far as WGBH, but neither did the old signal on
102.5.  Back when the changeover took place, someone posted
comparative maps of the coverage areas of the two signals, and it
seemed to me that there wasn't all that much difference.  99.5
reaches a little farther to the north, 102.5 a little farther to the
south.  The west was almost the same, as I ascertained on a drive to
Amherst, switching back and forth between WCRB and WKLB.  The article
also doesn't mention that, west of about Route 128, WFCR in Amherst,
which has a lot of classical programming, is audible.

> It's mentioned that "In the mid-1980s, former WBUR station manager
> Jane Christo jettisonedclassical music and converted the sleepy Boston
> University station toan all-news-and-talk format. Within just a few
> years, ´BUR owned theupscale NPR demographic..." I do remember
> something like that.

I remember when WBUR had really good classical music programming.  I
used to like to listen to it in my office, especially when I had
trouble with the WCRB signal.  Trouble was, it stopped at 4:00 PM to
carry All Things Considered, even though that was already on WGBH.

I've been listening to WCRB the past couple of weeks, and I do think
that it sounds better.  They've dropped the "Top 40" programming
philosophy

It is too bad they are dropping coverage of the Friday afternoon BSO
concert.  I believe those concerts were also recorded for some
archive.  I hope they will continue to be.

Probably the most eventful Friday afternoon concert took place on
Friday, 22 November 1963.  I didn't hear it at the time, but I heard
a rebroadcast of it a few months later.  The radio announcer
announced the next scheduled piece, obviously not knowing about the
big news of the day.  The conductor, Eric Leinsdorf, came to the
microphone and announced that "The President of the United States has
been the victim of an assassination."  This was followed by an
audible gasp from the audience.  Leinsdorf then said that the
orchestra would play the funeral march from Beethoven's third
symphony.  This was followed by another gasp from the audience before
the music began.