WBCN's last days

Phyllis phylo1@yahoo.com
Tue Aug 11 14:38:17 EDT 2009

Has anyone been listening over the last couple of days?  I've been recording some of it via their web stream.

The stories and nostalgia and music, if you listened back pre-90's, I'd say, has brought back a lot of memories, of DJs and bands I'd almost forgotten about. I've heard interviews with Billy West and Tom Sandman, Ken Shelton, Jerry Goodwin(the Duke of Madness).  Oedipus did a show last night, played some great music and great stories. Charles L. was on yesterday afternoon, being as strange as always.  His shtick was that he wanted to read a very long list of people he worked with, to say thank you. I also heard an interesting interview with Jonathan Kraft.

Tami Heidi is due to be on this evening around 8 PM.  I hope to be listening for the last couple of hours 10-12 when Bradley J is supposed to be shutting it down for the last time.

I admit that "My" station back in the heyday of punk and new wave was 101.7 - funny how hard they struggled and now they are the survivors.  I don't listen much anymore, but ocasionally some new music squeaks through that I actually like.

Many of my friends who've moved out of the area are surprised and sorry to hear about BCN.  We think things will never change, but of course they do.  Internet radio, HD radio, XM radio, radio apps on the itouch (which I love!) have all changed the landscape of radio as we knew it.  I'm only 50, but I wax nostalgic just the same...

This video of Oedipus with Emily Rooney may interest you.
http://www.beatthepress.org/blog/ralph-ranalli/389

RIP The Rock of Boston,

Phyllis
WCUW 91.3 Worcester