Somewhat OT: Times Co. threatens to shutter Boston Globe.

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Sat Apr 4 12:05:50 EDT 2009

At 09:23 AM 4/4/2009, Dave Tomm wrote:
>I think that the ultimate endgame will be the print editions of both
>papers eventually being phased out and going to an online only
>model.   The Times would rather do this gradually than abruptly, like
>the Post-Intellegencer did in Seattle.  By cutting more jobs and
>restructuring some contracts, they can run a leaner print edition,
>with the paper getting thinner and thinner over time, and cheaper to
>produce.

Two quick points-- well actually three.

1.  I am tired of the story being reported as if the unions are the
bad guys.  While I agree that there are probably some bloated
contracts, management (including the Times itself) made some poor
business decisions and was slow to recognize the threat of online
affecting their operation, plus their own executives made the big
bucks for years.  I don't mind managers making big bucks, but I do
mind the constant effort on the part of my media colleagues to
portray every story in the simplistic "good guy/bad guy" frame.  Find
somebody to blame, say it's their fault, wash, rinse, repeat.

2.  I am a neo-Luddite.  I accomodate new technology because it's in
my best interest to do so, but left to my own devices, I'd rather
talk to somebody on the phone or in person rather than send an
Instant Message or a Tweet.  I am happy that so many newspapers have
online editions, but I come from that demographic that was accustomed
to books, magazines, and publications you can hold in your hand,
touch, carry with you, etc.  It still is hard for me to read a
newspaper  or a magazine online-- there have been studies about how
digital media use a different part of the brain to process the
information... things just look different to me when I read them
online. Plus, the pictures look much better in the print edition
(especially in magazines), and many online databases don't even
include the graphics.  Just my opinion, and I know the younger demos
are accustomed to reading online, so maybe it doesn't bother them that much.

3.  If the Boston Globe folds, what will local radio and TV stations
do for their morning news? More often than not, the early casts
consist of stories pulled directly (ripped from the pages!!!) out of
the newspapers...