WABC could be (almost) all syndicated shows

Dave Tomm nostaticatall@charter.net
Wed Nov 26 16:12:54 EST 2008

The problem isn't the audience being driven away.  The problem is the
talk audience is dying off.  They are rapidly aging into the 55+
demo.  Look at WRKO.  Their 12+ numbers are respectable (even though
the Sox have something to do with them) but their 25-54's are terrible
outside of Howie.  Talk stations on FM have done a bit better 25-54
than their AM counterparts but again, those stations are also 55+ heavy.

Talk radio is going to have to re-invent itself.  The younger demos
want nothing to do with it.  Unlike the young voters of 25 years ago
that tended to be more conservative, today's younger demos tend to
skew more toward the Democrats and are culturally diverse.  That
spells long term trouble for a format that tends to be very hard to
the right--and lily white.  Younger potential listeners are more apt
to get their political analysis from surfing the blogosphere or
downloading shows from liberal minded hosts onto their I-pods.  Just
like traditional oldies and classic rock, there's a diminishing return
to talk radio as each year goes by.  Local hosts may help some, but
more hacks like Howie Carr criticizing every Democrat while
apologizing for every Republican--local or national, isn't going to
bring in younger listeners.  Hosts that can honestly debate the issues
of the day without spewing talking points (from either side) could get
some traction.  However, that would mean re-inventing the format which
could turn off existing listeners.  Since the industry is more
concerned with short term results rather than long term planning, it
means that you'll hear more of the same, syndicated hard right drivel
24/7.  Eventually the stations will crater out as the angry white
middle aged men who listen to it die off.  Then they'll have to
rebuilt it from scratch.  The next generation of talk listeners may
have moved on to new technologies by then.  Sad.

-Dave Tomm