The importance of local talk radio

Don A donald_astelle@yahoo.com
Mon Nov 24 13:27:35 EST 2008

The Mission Church was Catholic and the broadcasts usually lasted an
hour or more depending on how long the sermon was. I don't know if the
church bought the time or if WHDH was trying to please Cushing.
<<

What year was this on WHDH?  Did they ask for donations on this program?

You might recall (or maybe not) Bishop Fulton J. Sheen.  He was given
airtime for free...but I don't believe he begged for donations as they do
today.

> Cushing was smart when it came to broadcasting. He got channel 38 on
> the air in 1964 and was looking to sell from day 1.

Cushing was known for his money acumen.  ;-)

He may have had the same experience as the Christian Science Monitor did
when they had Ch 68 and "The M Onitor Channel"

A nice concept, but after getting it on the air, realizing what an expensive
ongoing proposition it was.

Getting it on the air was the easy part.....generating income to cover the
ongoing operation is another thing.

The Monitor Channel, while a noble enterprise, was a big black hole in the
balance sheet of the organization.