The importance of local talk radio

Kevin Vahey kvahey@gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 13:09:48 EST 2008

I am sure many of you on the list can remember when live broadcasts
from the Mission Church in Jamaica Plain were a mainstay on WHDH on
Wednesday evenings.
The Mission Church was Catholic and the broadcasts usually lasted an
hour or more depending on how long the sermon was. I don't know if the
church bought the time or if WHDH was trying to please Cushing.

Cushing was smart when it came to broadcasting. He got channel 38 on
the air in 1964 and was looking to sell from day 1. What he wanted was
the buyer to set up the extensive microwave system for the Boston
Catholic TV Center and that is exactly what Storer did.