Have you seen today's Boston Globe?...

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Wed Nov 12 00:55:12 EST 2008

On 12 Nov 2008 at 0:44, Richard Chonak wrote:

> Believe it or not, Don, there are people in America who don't even
> have confidence in judges.  Can you imagine that, even here in our
> enlightened commonwealth?

It's the nature of the work that in almost every case, someone goes
away dissatisfied.

> They don't want to rely on judges, even if the judges were elected, to
> decide cases of "fair speech" justly.

In Massachusetts, and in the Federal system, judges are not elected.
In any event a Fairness Doctrine complaint would be heard in the
first instance before the FCC.

> If a respondent were to win a case, the expense of litigation would be
> a punishment, and if the complainants are funded by George Soros or
> Richard Mellon Scaife or (insert your own rich bogeyman here), they'll
> be happy to start over with a new complaint after they lose the last
> one.   Fairness Doctrine complaints could become the equivalent of
> SLAPP suits.

Well, we have an anti-SLAPP statute in Massachusetts that cuts that
short.  The defendant is entitled to file a Special Motion to
Dismiss, which stops all proceedings until it is heard.  I won't go
into the details of the procedure and the standards in the statute,
but if the defendant wins the Special Motion to Dismiss, s/he can
recover all attorneys fees, not just for the motion, but for all
services connected with the lawsuit.  I did one successfully last
year.

I'm sure that if it becomes a problem, a similar law can be made
regarding Fairness Doctrine complaints.