Have you seen today's Boston Globe?...

Richard Chonak rac@gabrielmass.com
Wed Nov 12 00:44:44 EST 2008

Don A wrote:

>> Someone will have to decide when a complaint is brought and when one
>> is not brought.
>
> But the final "decider" is the courts.  And that has traditionally been
> the role of the courts to address justice fairly.

Believe it or not, Don, there are people in America who don't even have
confidence in judges.  Can you imagine that, even here in our
enlightened commonwealth?

They don't want to rely on judges, even if the judges were elected, to
decide cases of "fair speech" justly.

If a respondent were to win a case, the expense of litigation would be a
punishment, and if the complainants are funded by George Soros or
Richard Mellon Scaife or (insert your own rich bogeyman here), they'll
be happy to start over with a new complaint after they lose the last
one.   Fairness Doctrine complaints could become the equivalent of SLAPP
suits.

--RC