New Pix Needed

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Tue May 27 22:56:32 EDT 2008

I have been told by a person who works in engineering at one of the
three stations that, outside of the building on a concret pad, there
will also be (or maybe by now, there already is) an emergency
generator that will power all three stations in the event of an
ac-power failure. Given the high efficiency of the solid-state
transmitters to be used by all three stations, a 150-kW (~200
horesepower) generator would probably be quite adequate, although my
source did not indicate the rating or tell me whether this generator
would be powered by a diesel engine or one fueled by natural gas. My
guess is the latter, since there would then be no need to store a
large quantity of a combustable, toxic substance on the property. In
any event, because of the City of Newton's draconian regulations,
which prohibited enlarging the building, there was no room for the
generator inside the building. Presumably, an internal-combustion
engine rated for a continuous 200-HP output would be a good deal
larger than a 200-HP automobile engine because automobile-engine
ratings are for peak power. I would hope that there is room for the
storage batteries for the starter motor inside the building. If the
batteries must live outside, they would have to be physically quite
large to start such an engine in the dead of winter!

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367