That infernal hum!

Roger Kirk
Sat May 24 01:35:57 EDT 2008

They do sell a USB turntable.  It converts audio directly through an 
internal USB sound card which you can plug directly into your computer's 
USB port.  Or your laptop's USB port.

A. Joseph Ross wrote:
> I appreciate all the suggestions I got a few weeks ago when I asked 
> for help getting rid of an AC hum when I connected my stereo to my 
> desktop computer through a patch cord.  Since then, I've never 
> managed to get the hum to go away for very long.  It keeps coming 
> back.  
> So I'm thinking of another strategy for recording records and tapes 
> into computer files:  Use my laptop.  trouble is, my laptop doesn't 
> have an auxiliary input jack, just a mike jack.  Anything that I play 
> into that jack comes out loud and distorted.  Is there any kind of 
> adapter that I can get that will make it possible to use the laptop 
> for this purpose?  Or do I have to get another laptop?  That's not 
> going to happen for awhile.

More information about the Boston-Radio-Interest mailing list