That infernal hum!

Roger Kirk
Sat May 24 01:37:36 EDT 2008

You can buy a USB sound card that plugs into the USB port of your 
laptop.  Connect the left & right channels from your stereo to the audio 
inputs of the USB sound card.

A. Joseph Ross wrote:
> I appreciate all the suggestions I got a few weeks ago when I asked 
> for help getting rid of an AC hum when I connected my stereo to my 
> desktop computer through a patch cord.  Since then, I've never 
> managed to get the hum to go away for very long.  It keeps coming 
> back.  
> So I'm thinking of another strategy for recording records and tapes 
> into computer files:  Use my laptop.  trouble is, my laptop doesn't 
> have an auxiliary input jack, just a mike jack.  Anything that I play 
> into that jack comes out loud and distorted.  Is there any kind of 
> adapter that I can get that will make it possible to use the laptop 
> for this purpose?  Or do I have to get another laptop?  That's not 
> going to happen for awhile.

More information about the Boston-Radio-Interest mailing list