That infernal hum!

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Sat May 24 01:20:54 EDT 2008

I appreciate all the suggestions I got a few weeks ago when I asked
for help getting rid of an AC hum when I connected my stereo to my
desktop computer through a patch cord.  Since then, I've never
managed to get the hum to go away for very long.  It keeps coming
back.

So I'm thinking of another strategy for recording records and tapes
into computer files:  Use my laptop.  trouble is, my laptop doesn't
have an auxiliary input jack, just a mike jack.  Anything that I play
into that jack comes out loud and distorted.  Is there any kind of
adapter that I can get that will make it possible to use the laptop
for this purpose?  Or do I have to get another laptop?  That's not
going to happen for awhile.