Sunday Nights on WBZ, WBZA in 1929

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Tue May 13 00:01:35 EDT 2008

At 11:43 PM 5/12/2008, Garrett Wollman wrote:

>  There aren't many of the classic American
>literary magazines left any more.  It used to be that every publisher
>had one (to promote its authors);

Today, the closest we get is New Yorker, maybe Esquire, maybe New
Republic or Harpers.  But all of those literary magazines also
promoted or sponsored radio shows back then... One of the magazines
that did really well using the show as a vehicle for keeping the name
of their magazine in front of everyone was Time, which their widely
praised "March of Time" weekly radio news magazine.  Literary Digest
also sponsored a weekly show... and for a while, so did Radio Digest,
a fan magazine about the stars and shows in broadcasting... The
Depression killed off Literary Digest, and Radio Digest too... but of
course, Time survived.