WMUR

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Sat Mar 22 01:37:23 EDT 2008

On 21 Mar 2008 at 10:09, Kevin Vahey wrote:

> We must have driven ABC crazy. If we delayed running a network show
> and since we could not tape it in color they would send us a 16mm
> print with the commercials spliced in as we did have a color film
> chain.

I don't believe ABC did much (or perhaps any) color broadcasting
until the mid-to-late 1960s.  For a long time NBC was the only
network pushing color.

The way I heard it (and I'm sure Donna has much more definitive
information), around 1965 or so, the statistics began to show that
color made a difference in ratings.  At that point, CBS abruptly
changed to all color for its fall season, even re-shooting some
pilots.  As long as ABC was one of two networks not doing color, they
stayed that way, but when CBS changed, ABC didn't want to be the only
network not doing color and finally spent the money to change over.