WMUR

Gary's Ice Cream gary@garysicecream.com
Sat Mar 22 06:02:07 EDT 2008

The last network show on CBS to switch to color in 1966 was Lost in Space -
Irwin Allen wanted to shoot the 1965 first season of the show in color but
20th Century Fox said it would cost too much (since the show was, at the
time, the most expensive show ever filmed) - a decision that hurts the show
today in syndication sales.

Gary Francis

-----Original Message-----
From: boston-radio-interest-bounces@tsornin.BostonRadio.org
[mailto:boston-radio-interest-bounces@tsornin.BostonRadio.org] On Behalf Of
A. Joseph Ross
Sent: Saturday, March 22, 2008 1:37 AM
To: Kevin Vahey
Cc: Boston Radio Group
Subject: Re: WMUR

On 21 Mar 2008 at 10:09, Kevin Vahey wrote:

> We must have driven ABC crazy. If we delayed running a network show
> and since we could not tape it in color they would send us a 16mm
> print with the commercials spliced in as we did have a color film
> chain.

I don't believe ABC did much (or perhaps any) color broadcasting until the
mid-to-late 1960s.  For a long time NBC was the only network pushing color.

The way I heard it (and I'm sure Donna has much more definitive
information), around 1965 or so, the statistics began to show that color
made a difference in ratings.  At that point, CBS abruptly changed to all
color for its fall season, even re-shooting some pilots.  As long as ABC was
one of two networks not doing color, they stayed that way, but when CBS
changed, ABC didn't want to be the only network not doing color and finally
spent the money to change over.