Oldies

Brian Vita brian_vita@cssinc.com
Mon Jul 28 10:20:02 EDT 2008

> Or can it? If each HDn (where n>1) is counted as a new "signal" (and I
> think, technically, it really IS a new signal, even though it does not
> involve a new channel assignment or a new broadcast license), isn't
> there at least a possibility that the plethora of signals in an
> already over-radioded market (especially over-radioded if you add
> Internet audio streams, iPods, and satellite to the existing
> terrestrial signals and competitors' HDn signals) will drive down the
> average price per spot, thus reducing the revenue a station can derive
> from the larger number of availabilities it now needs to sell?
[Brian Vita]
I don't agree.  I think that it gives both the advertiser and the radio
station a wider menu.  For example (I have no idea if they are actually
bundling this way - just hypothetical)
	I could buy time on Magic/Magic HD-1
	I could buy time on Magic/Magic HD-1/HD-2
	I could buy time on all of GM's Boston FM and FM HD-1 stations
	I could buy time on all of GM's Boston FM, FM HD-1 and FM HD-2
stations

The bundling/unbundling would let me target my demo or go as wide as I like.
If I'm buying for a carwash, everything would make sense.  If I'm buying for
Jheri curl, chances are that WKLB won't be my demo.

Brian