WCRN

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Sun Jul 13 23:59:40 EDT 2008

<<On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 23:46:30 -0400, I wrote:

> WCRN's 5 covers Framingham; the 2.5 should land somewhere in Newton,
> and is quite listenable on the Turnpike at night.

That was based on the tabulations in WCRN's 50-kW DA-N application,
now operational.  V-Soft, however, claims that WCRN puts 7.17 mV/m
over 01702, which is better than *any* Boston-licensed station, WBZ
included.  Even down in Foxborough, 830 puts a respectable 3 mV/m.  It
does really drop off precipitously up towards the Merrimack Valley --
downtown Lowell only gets 1.75 mV according to Mr. Vernier, which I
suspect is not particularly listenable.  (But of course, paired with
850 or 680 that wouldn't matter.)

(The difference is that V-Soft uses the standard FCC M3 tables,
whereas WCRN's application used measured ground conductivity.  If the
M3 tables put 7.17 mV/m in my neighboorhood, then Carter had some
incentive not to use those numbers, as that would put the 5 awfully
close to WEEI's protected contour.)

-GAWollman