Felger leaving ESPN Boston

David Tomm nostaticatall@charter.net
Sat Jul 12 21:23:15 EDT 2008

890 was toying around with local programming before Felger's show
during the Celtics playoff run with a couple of guys who previously
bought time from WWZN.  My guess is that they bought the airtime from
890 as well.  Felger's old slot may be an attractive option for Lobel
& Bell, but at this point the station would probably rather sell them
the time than hire them on.  That station is a sinking ship, and
Felger  is jumping off while he has the chance.

WEEI is due for some real competition, and considering the holding
pattern both 104.1 and 92.9 have been in recently, either one could
easily pull the trigger at anytime.   Landing Ordway would be a major
building block, and it's almost like WEEI is preparing to lose him
when his deal runs out later this year.  All of their front line
talent, D&C, Dale Arnold, Michael Holley and Pete Sheppard have
signed long term deals in the last several months.  Everyone but
Ordway.  Considering the beating Entercom stock has taken recently
along with the Sox rights fees and Howie's huge new deal,  it might
be hard for Julie & Jason to pony up the package to keep Glen in the
fold.

You have to wonder if Felger working for the "WEEI Website" is
keeping him in reserve for an eventual Ordway departure...and away
from a potential FM sports talk competitor.  As Sean mentioned, Rob
Bradford is also signed on for web work.  It looks like WEEI is
building up their web presence to become the local "sports leader"
online as well.  As big as WEEI is getting, eventually one of the
underperforming FM's in the market will want at least a part of the
action.  With Ordway's contact in play this fall, I'd be shocked if
one or both of them didn't make a serious run at him.  If either
Greater Media or CBS Radio can lure him away, it's game on.

Dave Tomm
"Mike Thomas"