Licensed to non-actual locations

Dave Doherty dave@skywaves.net
Thu Jan 31 21:45:42 EST 2008

Hi Doug-

The old radio rule was that the main studio had to be located within the
principal community contour of the station. That's what originally allowed
WGY to be located in Niskayuna and WSRS to be located in Paxton.

On another thread, somebody mentioned WPTZ-TV, licensed to North Pole, NY,
but with studios in Plattsburgh. Roughly the same concept applies, although
in TV Land, the principal community is called the City of License.

The current radio rules allow for the main studio to be located within the
principal community contour (5mv/m day for AM, 70dbu for FM) of ANY station
licensed to the same community.  There is also a 25 mile rule that allows
the main studio to be located that far from the community. There are several
cases of stations that cannot be heard at their studios as a result.

There are proposals on the table right now that would require that the
studios be located in the principal community.

-Dave Doherty
 Skywaves, Inc.
 97 Webster Street
 Worcester, MA 01603