WCAP/980 (was Re: ABC Returns To WCAP)

Eli Polonsky elipolo@earthlink.net
Thu Jan 31 10:09:22 EST 2008

You may hear some local spots on WCAP if you listen during
their daytime talk shows, or when they occasionally air
school sports games, but I haven't yet heard any spots
during their automated "Beatles and Before" oldies format.

As much as we "of a certain age" enjoy hearing the "older"
oldies no longer played on major mainstream oldies stations
like WODS, I think that the oldies format on WCAP is just
something that the station flips on whenever they have no
local talk or other feature programming for given periods
of time. I'd imagine we may see the oldies diminish as more
local talk or other community interest programming becomes
added, though I'm sure there will always be some time, such
as late nights, which will not be filled, and could remain
oldies.

As the station is just starting out under the new ownership,
I'm sure they're more focused on trying to sell ad time on
their local talk, sports and feature programming rather than
during their automated oldies format, though I'd imagine that
spots could eventually appear during the oldies if there are
any sponsors interested in those slots.

EP