WNTN in Auburndale

Eli Polonsky elipolo@earthlink.net
Wed Jan 30 21:08:11 EST 2008

I grew up mostly in Newton (Newtonville), and in addition to
my sporadic and part-time radio work, I've driven a taxicab
in Newton for over 30 years, so I know the area quite well.

West Newton is certainly a village, with it's own P.O. 02465

The small neighborhood of Thompsonville has become somewhat
archaic. Old timers in the area say they're in Thompsonville,
but younger residents consider it as part of Newton Centre.

Newton Corner didn't appear on maps until recent decades.
Residents always called the area Newton Corner, but street
directories still simply call the area just "Newton", and
the Newton Corner intersection (the rotary bridges over the
Pike by the Sheraton) was labeled "Nonantum Square" on maps
until a few decades ago, though it's over a mile from the
heart of the village Nonantum along Watertown St. (Rte. 16).
(I guess the Pike actually took away the old "Nonantum Sq.")

And, many residents (including older ones) call the area in
between Newton Corner and Newton Centre simply "Newton".

"Four Corners" isn't officially a village, though some may
claim to live there. It's the area immediately around the
intersection of Beacon and Walnut streets, which once had a
gas station on all "four corners", though in the past few
decades that has dwindled to only one station remaining. I
think the area is actually part of the village of Newton
Highlands, though it also borders Newton Centre and Waban.

I remember WNTN's early days on the air in 1968 as a full-
service suburban MOR music daytimer. I was upset that, on
my cheap Radio Shack transistor radio, WNTN bled all over
WMEX, which was weak in Newton. I don't remember WNTN ever
ID'ing as Auburndale, though.

It seems strange to me if they had ever claimed their
address was Auburndale, because street guides list their
street Rumford Ave. as being in West Newton, although
Lexington St. immediately south of it is in Auburndale.
Rumford, and Lexington St. north to the Waltham line, is
considered to be in West Newton rather than Auburndale.

EP