WCAP/980 (was Re: ABC Returns To WCAP)

Mark Watson markwats@comcast.net
Thu Jan 31 19:40:46 EST 2008

Eli Polonsky wrote:

> You may hear some local spots on WCAP if you listen during
> their daytime talk shows, or when they occasionally air
> school sports games, but I haven't yet heard any spots
> during their automated "Beatles and Before" oldies format.

   As I posted in my reply to A. Joseph Ross' post about WCAP, ther are a
few spots that air during the music hours. And to clarify, at this time WCAP
isn't airing any high school sports games, the only sports they are airing
are Lowell Devils AHL hockey and some U Mass Lowell hockey games (simulcast
with and produced by WUML). Although someone told me they heard a promo on
WCAP this afternoon that they will be carrying the audio of Comcast CN8
cable channel's high school basketball game of the week, I haven't heard it
myself so I can't vouch for this being true.

> As much as we "of a certain age" enjoy hearing the "older"
> oldies no longer played on major mainstream oldies stations
> like WODS, I think that the oldies format on WCAP is just
> something that the station flips on whenever they have no
> local talk or other feature programming for given periods
> of time. I'd imagine we may see the oldies diminish as more
> local talk or other community interest programming becomes
> added, though I'm sure there will always be some time, such
> as late nights, which will not be filled, and could remain
> oldies.

  Currently the WCAP oldies schedule is Mon-Fri 6:30 -8PM and 10PM-5 AM (6AM
on Sat.). A local talk show hosted by George Anthes (currently out on a
medical leave, guest hosts filling in) airs Mon-Fri nights 8 to 10, except
when pre-empted for Devils or U Mass Lowell hockey. Saturdays the oldies run
from 2PM till 6AM on Sunday, inturrpted for special remotes or hockey.
Sundays the oldies run from Noon till 5AM Monday, again inturrupted for
special remotes or hockey. I have heard some favorable comments about the
oldies from some long time listeners, hopefully they'll share their comments
with Clark Smidt & Sam Poulten.

> As the station is just starting out under the new ownership,
> I'm sure they're more focused on trying to sell ad time on
> their local talk, sports and feature programming rather than
> during their automated oldies format, though I'd imagine that
> spots could eventually appear during the oldies if there are
> any sponsors interested in those slots.

   They have a sales staff of 4 out drumming up business, headed up by Bill
Wayland, a veteran of many years in the radio biz, having been at WCOZ while
it was riding high in the ratings. Prior to his arrival at WCAP, Bill was
associated with WNBP in Newburyport. So far, they have brought in some new
advertisers, plus they've done a few remotes in Lowell and one just this
past weekend in Andover. With WCCM apparently having cut back on it's local
content, not to mention it's broadcast day in the Winter months since it's
move to 1110 Salem NH, WCAP has been touting it's live and local service to
the Merrimack Valley, including Lawrence & Haverhill and no doubt the sales
staff has been working those areas as well.

Mark Watson