[Fwd: 16:9 Aspect Ratio]

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Fri Jan 25 00:52:38 EST 2008

<<On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 22:52:14 -0500, "Dave Doherty" <dave@skywaves.net> said:

> Absent earbuds, we can only listen to one aural source at a time. With
> earbuds, and with long-term practice, we may be able to actively monitor as
> many as two aural channels.

Obviously you haven't traveled with Mr. Fybush.

I think it's possible to handle about four distinct sources, provided
they are all physically separated.  That doesn't necessarily imply
*listening* to four things at once, just monitoring them to the point
of determining which one requires immediate attention.  My own hearing
isn't good enough to do more than three, sometimes two.  (I also have
trouble keeping up a conversation in a noisy restaurant, for the same
reason.)

-GAWollman