[Fwd: 16:9 Aspect Ratio]

Dave Doherty dave@skywaves.net
Thu Jan 24 22:52:14 EST 2008

Hi Dan-

You raise an excellent point about the audio.

Human beings are organized to process visual input before aural. We have two
eyes and two ears, in accord with the normal redundancies, gender-related
and otherwise; but our visual acuity may be more responsible for the ascent
of humankind than any other factor.

Our visual acuities are based upon the short wavelengths associated with
light, but our aural acuities are based upon the long wavelengths associated
with sound. Our eyes are close together and pointed in roughly the same
direction, but our ears are farther apart and pointed about 45 degrees
off-axis.

Human eyes are exquisite sensors of light, and our brains are fabulous
interpreters of that input. Interpretation of the huge amounts of visual
input occupy massive amounts of our brains' computational abilities at all
times when we are awake.

Aural input helps us to determine the source of the sound using the brain's
ability to process differential input from the ears, but the brain assumes
that aural input to both ears comes from a single source.

So here's the problem:

We can look at four simultaneous video displays and get a sense of what's
happening overall without overloading our brains.

Absent earbuds, we can only listen to one aural source at a time. With
earbuds, and with long-term practice, we may be able to actively monitor as
many as two aural channels.

-d