that horrible BEEP

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Tue Jan 22 18:23:05 EST 2008

A. Joseph Ross wrote:

> Since I distinctly recall a later article indicating that channel 19
> would return to the air as part of Hudson Valley Broadcasting, which
> I knew at the time to be WROW-WCDA-WCDB, the takeover by Capital
> Cities could not have happened by this time.  Whether it happened
> later, before we left the area in May 1957, I can't say for sure.

Oddly enough, I've just been reading an obscure little book called,
"Capital Cities/ABC The Early Years 1954-1986: How the Minnow Came to
Swallow the Whale."

And from it we learn that Hudson Valley Broadcasting and Capital Cities
were the same company, at least after 1954, when the existing (and
failing!) shell of Hudson Valley Broadcasting was sold by WROW founder
Harry Goldman to a consortium led by Frank Smith and Lowell Thomas. The
"new" Hudson Valley Broadcasting became Cap Cities in December 1957, as
it grew beyond Albany to acquire WTVD Durham NC and KTRK Houston - but
it was essentially the same company from 1954 through the eventual sales
of WTEN and WROW-AM/FM and, ultimately, the 1986 acquisition of ABC (and
the later sale to Disney.)