that horrible BEEP

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Tue Jan 22 21:48:28 EST 2008

Hi, Scott: Thank you! Your answer is really cool--and totally
unexpected. How many disagreements are settled these days with both
parties turning out to be right? I believe (but am not sure) that,
after CapCities, the next owner of WROW (radio, not TV--and maybe only
AM) was WOR's John Gambling. What I don't know is whether it was John
A Gambling or John R. If I've got the initials right, John A was the
son of WOR's first morning man, John B, and father of John R, who took
over the AM-drive slot when John A retired. John R is currently a WABC
personality. I think it was John A who bought WROW. WROW (AM) has had
several New York City connections. Besides <whichever> Gambling
(owner) and Roger Bauer (Bower?) (first GM under what eventually
became CapCities), there was also former WINS DJ Geoff Davis, a
big-voiced guy who did AM drive there for several years in the '50s.

And I mustn't forget John B Gambling's Rochester connection; for many
years, John B had a very small studio orchestra, the Gamboleers, whose
conductor was Vincent Sori (not sure of spelling). As I understand it,
Sori was a Rochester native who may have taught at the Eastman school
before migrating to New York in the late teens or early 20s. I know
this because my mother was a Rochester native who migrated to New York
in the early 20s and I guess that the Rosenthals were at least
acquainted with--if not actually friends of--the Soris.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367