that horrible BEEP

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Mon Jan 21 23:39:47 EST 2008

On 21 Jan 2008 at 15:52, A. Joseph Ross wrote:

> I wonder whether there's any way to check these things. I do know that
> somewhere I have a special Sunday edition of the Albany Times- Union
> celebrating their 100th (I think) anniversary, which has an article in
> it on Albany broadcasting.  I'm not sure where it is, but I'll try to
> find it, and if I do, I think it contains some helpful information.

I found it! I was thinking of scanning the article in question, but
the paper is too fragile.  I'll have to summarize the answers to our
questions that I've found there. If I get ambitious, maybe I'll copy
out the entire article for later reference.

Anyway, this is indeed the Centennial edition of the Albany Times-
Union, dated Sunday 22 April 1956.  I don't have the entire paper,
but I have a number of special sections that I saved.  The one in
question is entitled "Communications."  It consists mainly of the
history of the Times-Union and of the print media in Albany in
general.  There is no article about radio, but there is one about
area television history.

The article describes how, in 1926, GE engineer Dr. E. F.
Alexanderson gave the first public demonstration of television (the
rotating perforated disk system) at his home that January.  In May,
WGY began a schedule of three regular television broadcasts a week.
The station carried the first remote telecast of an outdoor event in
1928 when Governor Alfred E. Smith gave an outdoor speech accepting
the Democratic nomination for President

The first long-distance reception of "modern high-definition
television" (!) took place in the Helderberg Hills in 1939, where the
Schenectady station received pictures of King George VI and Queen
Elizabeth touring the New York World's Fair.

The first television network went into operation on 12 January 1940,
when the General Electric relay station and transmitter W2XB
rebroadcast programs from New York City to the Albany area.

As of the date of the article, there were only two television
stations in the area:  WRGB and WCDA-WCDB.  WTRI was scheduled to
resume in August on channel 35 as an ABC affiliate.  The article said
that it was no longer connected with WTRY radio.  WMBT-TV (sic) was
hoping to return to the air by 1 July when it replaced its storm-
damaged antenna.  WCDA-WCDB was scheduled to become a full CBS
affiliate on 1 August, at which time WRGB would replace the CBS
programs it was then carrying with more NBC programs.

After the end of the FCC freeze, there were six Albany-area groups
vying for the three commercial UHF allocations.  By June 1953, things
had sorted themselves out by mergers and withdrawals, and the FCC had
granted construction permits for channel 41, WROW, channel 35, WTRI,
and channel 23, Patroon Broadcasting Co. (WPTR).  The last had not
been built to date, and apparently never was.

WROW-TV went on the air in October 1953 with a temporary 100-foot
mast, switching to a permanent tower with full power a few months
later.  WTRI started on 28 February 1954, but suspended operations 11
months later, when it lost all network programs.

WMGT "became a strong factor in the area TV picture" when it moved
from channel 74 to channel 19 in December 1954.  The station was off
the air after a storm toppled its tower on Mount Greylock "this past
February," but hoped to be back in July.

WROW changed its name to WCDA-WCDB "this spring" when the channel 29
relay went on.  Channel 17, reserved for a non-commercial station,
also had not been used at the time, though I think it has been since.

Since I distinctly recall a later article indicating that channel 19
would return to the air as part of Hudson Valley Broadcasting, which
I knew at the time to be WROW-WCDA-WCDB, the takeover by Capital
Cities could not have happened by this time.  Whether it happened
later, before we left the area in May 1957, I can't say for sure.