WFXT-DT power increase?

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Tue Dec 23 12:13:22 EST 2008

<<On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 10:59:49 -0500, Alexander Svirsky <as@shawsheen.com> said:

> For some reason I thought that WFXT-DT was protecting WNNE 31 in VT.
> I forgot about WTIC-DT.  Interesting that WNNE-DT is on 25.  How does
> WFXT-DT increase power in 2009 with WTIC-DT staying on 31 after the
> transition?

Many of the "permanent" DTV allotments in the FCC's Sixth Report &
Order are "instantly grandfathered" allotments, which would not be
permitted under the Commission's own rules if they had been proposed
as new DTV allotments.  Many of them use directional antennas (some of
the DAs the Commission specified proved impossible to construct!) and
even then there's a lot of Longley-Rice magic going on to "prove" that
the new short-spaced facilities "don't" interfere with one another.

I think Boston to Hartford (or rather, Needham to Farmington) is a
much tougher case than Needham to Ascutney, as I think the UHD
Candelabra is tall enough to diffract over much of the terrain
blockage in the Worcester hills, and the top of the tower in
Farmington is one of the highest points in the state (2048 feet AMSL).

-GAWollman