honoring Larry Glick, Arnie Ginsburg, etc

Kevin Vahey kvahey@comcast.net
Thu Aug 21 10:38:27 EDT 2008

Those of us who had to deal with Mac all have stories. I remember once
I had to buy something for the station out of my pocket and to get
paid back was quite the process (and the amount was under $5)

One Saturday afteroon I encountered Mac sitting on a park bench
listening to Tommy Hadges on WTBS. He told me he had the chance to buy
WBOS-FM for 300K but said no because of his experience with WPGC in
Washington but he could now see he made a mistake. He knew it was only
a matter of time before FM became the choice of listeners.

He ignored the advice of his engineers and decided to go 50K daytime
because he wanted 50,000 watts on the rate card knowing it would
impress the buyers in New York.

Still he was able to fight the powerful group owners (Westinghouse and
RKO General) well. Remember it was Westinghouse that blinked first
when WRKO went Top 40)

Indeed he was a ruthless man to work for and I understand where Jack
is coming from. However you have to look at the finished product that
people heard on their radios.