Atlantic Coast Radio Changes Confirmed

Chuck Igo chuckigo@maine.rr.com
Tue Aug 19 19:08:43 EDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Billings" <billings@suscom-maine.net>
Subject: Atlantic Coast Radio Changes Confirmed

> WEEI to be broadcast on 95.5 and 95.9.
(snip)
> In most markets, there is one successful sports talk stations -- not two.
> Portland is not likely to be any different.
>
> If I were the local hosts at the Big Jab, I would be updating my resume. I
> doubt they will be able to compete effectively with the big guys from
> Boston.

fortunately for Portland, the audience will support the local sports station
over the out-of-town thing.  Mainers are funny that way.  If that were not
the case, then the syndicated shows of WZAN, WLOB, et al would be #1 in
their dayparts.  but, the current shows that are consistently in the top of
the dayparts and target demos in Portland are local products.  the best
showing from the WEEI product will most likely be Dale & Holley in middays,
given that Dale is a local kid.  the thing i will be interested to see is
how the WEEI evening product does against Red Sox.  the two are not
interchangeable, nor are they part of a package.  The Big JAB will continue
with Red Sox baseball, and WEEI will provide its programming.

the loss of a unique format to the area is a sad one, though.  granted,
hip-hop is a long way from when Bart Bailey signed on 95.9 in Saco as WPIG.
(yee-haw, mutha-bleeper)

--Chuck Igo