CBS Selling off 50 Stations

Alan Tolz atolz@comcast.net
Mon Aug 4 14:08:32 EDT 2008

> Hopefully whoever buys the CBS cluster will keep 93.7 and 1080 just  the
> way they are.  WZMX is rhythmic, but their audience goes beyond  the
> African American community.  There are quite a few young, white,  suburban
> listeners as well.  The situation is most likely similar to  WJMN.  They
> are near the top of the overall ratings, and I'd be  willing to bet their
> 18-49 and 25-54 numbers are very respectable  considering the format.
> Revenues may lag behind the numbers a bit,  but billing is still
> substantial.

They are currently billing between $4-$5 mm, putting them 9th in a 10 horse
race with only WURH on the FM side billing less.
If they were to take 10% of the market revenues as a "WEEI network" station,
they would bill $6.5 - 7.5 mm.
And you are correct, they are top3 everywhere A 18-49, but the 25-54's are
marginal.

> WTIC has the reputation for being the news and information station  for
> Connecticut, and yes, the home of the Red Sox and the Huskies.   Any
> change to that formula would be a big, big mistake.  The LAST  thing they
> should do is turn it into "WRKO south."  Even if they  couldn't go full
> blown news like WBZ, keeping the drivetime shifts  local and using a
> information intensive format clock is essential.   You just don't mess
> with a station that routinely hovers around a  eight share, and is
> currently the number one rated station in the  market 12+.

I agree with you, though the long standing in-market joke is that WTIC AM
could turn off their transmitter for 90 days and get a 6 share 12+.
BTW, I'm not saying this is what Entercom SHOULD do, just what their
proclivities are based on their history in Boston.  Gee...maybe they can add
WCCC FM to teh cluster while they're at it and regionalize Hillman. :-)