CBS Selling off 50 Stations

David Tomm nostaticatall@charter.net
Mon Aug 4 12:55:32 EDT 2008

Hopefully whoever buys the CBS cluster will keep 93.7 and 1080 just
the way they are.  WZMX is rhythmic, but their audience goes beyond
the African American community.  There are quite a few young, white,
suburban listeners as well.  The situation is most likely similar to
WJMN.  They are near the top of the overall ratings, and I'd be
willing to bet their 18-49 and 25-54 numbers are very respectable
considering the format.  Revenues may lag behind the numbers a bit,
but billing is still substantial.

People in CT are split down the middle when it comes to sports--some
are New York fans, others root for Boston teams, and quite a few mix
it up.   I'm a CT native and love the Sox and Celtics, but I'm also a
lifelong Giants fan.  After the whole Bob Kraft moving the Patriots
to Hartford thing which got rescinded at the last minute, there are
plenty of people there who have a bad taste in their mouth regarding
the Pats.  Considering how much coverage WEEI gives the team, it
would probably be a turnoff to many potential listeners.  Besides,
UConn basketball trumps everything else in season.  Even UConn
football is building a loyal following.  The areas of the state with
the most partisan Boston fans live in the extreme east and north--
which are covered well by 105.5 and 103.7.  A Hartford WEEI just
isn't needed and probably wouldn't be profitable.

WTIC has the reputation for being the news and information station
for Connecticut, and yes, the home of the Red Sox and the Huskies.
Any change to that formula would be a big, big mistake.  The LAST
thing they should do is turn it into "WRKO south."  Even if they
couldn't go full blown news like WBZ, keeping the drivetime shifts
local and using a information intensive format clock is essential.
You just don't mess with a station that routinely hovers around a
eight share, and is currently the number one rated station in the
market 12+.

Dave Tomm
"Mike Thomas"