CBS Selling off 50 Stations

Gary's Ice Cream gary@garysicecream.com
Sun Aug 3 21:04:38 EDT 2008

WLLH in Lowell did the same thing with a sister station in Worcester back in
the 80's when they were country. Perhaps Chris Hall can tell us about that -
I remember that at times the stereo cart machines weren't exactly in
phase...............

Gary Francis

-----Original Message-----
From: boston-radio-interest-bounces@tsornin.BostonRadio.org
[mailto:boston-radio-interest-bounces@tsornin.BostonRadio.org] On Behalf Of
Garrett Wollman
Sent: Sunday, August 03, 2008 8:57 PM
To: SteveOrdinetz
Cc: Boston Radio Interest
Subject: Re: CBS Selling off 50 Stations

<<On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 20:43:26 -0400, SteveOrdinetz <hykker@wildblue.net>
said:

> As far as stations doing split-simulcasts, I think WOKQ/WPKQ does an
> excellent job with this.  I can't hear 97.5 where I live, so I can't
> be certain which breaks are split, but the program elements that ARE
> split (legal ID, north country weather and some spots) are absolutely
seamless.

I've seen them do it.  There is a separate automation system that does
nothing but run the Conway spot load.  If I understand things correctly, the
Conway spots are started by a "contact" closure from the main automation
system, and spots on both stations are very carefully timed to ensure that
both breaks end exactly on time.  (This apparently annoys some agencies when
they send in a 60.2-second spot and are told it's too long.)

It's particularly impressive when they do the legal ID, which is only
partially split (the front is split but the back is common).

Scott and/or Blaine can now trot out the story of how WOWO in Fort Wayne did
this on the cheap with a stereo cart deck.  (They weren't trying to do
separate spots, but they did have a separate legal.)

-GAWollman