ReRe: FCC - cable dual visability

Robert F. Sutherland madprof@ix.netcom.com
Mon Sep 17 18:21:18 EDT 2007

Ken -   In all reality, we are not in disagreement.

  My post included the phrase "this is the 1st reasonable act
FCC has done since HD started emerging" .... meaning in reducing
the burden on the public.... yes, I failed to say anything of
over-the-air.  Part of my between-the-lines point (sarcasm if
you will) is the lack of the FCC to consider that HD, with the death
of analog, is honestly aimed at people who can afford new HD tv's,
not the general popluation.

  I totally feel the FCC should be allowing air signals to be
receivable by folks with existing TV's;
I am especially sensitive to a situation like New Lebanon NY,
where very few air signals are viewable presently,
(Albany's WRGB 6 the primary, also 10 & 13),
and HD signal strength will necessarily be reduced from analog.

   I feel the FCC & big-business / HD tv manufacturers are in
collaboration in ripping off / forcing the public to spend
for new HD sets.

   Yes, I can see that HD is a scientific / technological
improvement, but illogical to force it on the total population.
I for one, retired, will have to resort to a convertor
simply to still have reception, air or cable.

  My post included the phrase "this is the 1st reasonable act
FCC has done since HD started emerging" .... meaning in reducing
the burden on the public.... yes, I failed to say anything of
over-the-air.  Part of my between-the-lines point (sarcasm if
you will) is the lack of the FCC to consider that HD, with the death
of analog, is honestly aimed at people who can afford new HD tv's,
not the general popluation.

  And yes, I agree that cable companies, to use bandwidth to
duplicate signals converted to analog, is a waste of bandwidth,
but perhaps such a move does not increase cost to those who
really have no spare cash to buy a convertor?

  Scott, If I am ranting too much, please say so.
Any other opinions are welcome, but so much has been hashed
over already  [including the obvious AM IBOC hash].

Bob Sutherland