WUNR

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Sun Sep 9 13:46:27 EDT 2007

AFAIK, WUNR has been licensed to Brookline and has had the same
technical facilities from the same transmitter location since it
originally signed on in 1947: 5 kW-U DA-1 from two more-than-half-wave
towers in the Oak Hill section of Newton. The CP, which is under
construction at the original site, is for 20 kW DA-1 from five towers.
Three of the towers will be shared with WKOX (50 kW-U DA-2) and five
towers day/four night will be shared with WRCA (25 kW-D/17 kW-N DA-2).
Since the new towers are only about 116 degrees at 1600, whereas the
old ones were, IIRC, 205, the power increase will be a lot less
impressive than the raw numbers suggest. Also the new pattern is much
narrower than the old. WUNR needs to protect first-adjacent-channel
stations in Nashua NH and W Warwick RI and, because of the "ratchet
rule," which requires reductions in interference to existing stations,
it must reduce radiation to the north and south. The new 20-kW pattern
will send most signal to the east in a fairly narrow arc focused on
inner-city Boston, which is the target market for WUNR's brokered
ethnic programming. The same statements are true for WRCA, which, in
addition, is moving south from Waltham to the Newton site, and will
take major signal hits day and night to the northwest of Boston.

At some point in WUNR's 60-year existence, co-channel WWRL New York
City, the major source of nighttime interference to WUNR,
upgraded--from a 250 ND Class IV (on a Class III channel) licensed to
the Queens nighborhood of Woodside--first to 5 kW DA-2 licensed to New
York and more recently to 25 kW-D/5 kW-N DA-2. The first WWRL upgrade
(in the mid '50s, I think), probably reduced interference to
WUNR--which may still have been WVOM or WBOS (AM) at the time. From a
technical standpoint, until WUNR gets its CP on the air, the WWRL
upgrades and a number of changes to the 1600 station in E Longmeadow
were probably the most significant events to affect WUNR since it was
built.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367