Prov. shuffle: Rush, Buddy, etc

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Sun Sep 9 13:48:07 EDT 2007

At 01:28 PM 9/9/2007, Lou G wrote:

>>However, the Hildreth family, owners of WLAW, which moved to Andover
>>to Burlington and increased from 5 kW to 50 kW...
>
>I thought it was the Rogers family that owned WLAW...the Family tha
>towned the Eagle-Tribune.
>
>WLAW originally signed on with 1KW...  WHen did the go to 5kw?

Yes the Rogers family owned it for years-- from 1937 till 1953, if my
memory serves me well.  When the various stations in Boston swapped
frequencies, WNAC finally got the 680 frequency it wanted, and was
able to give up the 1260 frequency it hated.  Vic Diehm, a
Pennsylvania broadcaster, bought it and turned it into WVDA.

I don't have my files with me, but I recall that yes, WLAW first went
on the air with 1000 wonderful watts.  But they were 5000 by the mid
1940s, and they even went to 50,000 circa 1951.  I am sure somebody
has the exact date.