New WNSH reception report (was: WPEP-AM Defunct)

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Mon Oct 29 16:51:05 EDT 2007

The old 500W signal was directional to the north, so it definitely did
not serve Boston, Somerville, or other "close-in" communities. Most
likely, WNSH is currently running 1/4 of the CP power or 7.5 kW, which
should deliver half of the 30-kW signal strength. As per my post of
early Sunday morning here, I believe that when WNSH is running 30 kW,
the signal will be about what you'd expect from a little less than 15
kW, and were WNSH to diplex with WESX (with the tower skirted at the
top to reduce its electrical height to a more-or-less optimum 190
degrees at 1570), Keating could get about the same coverage with 7.3
kW. THAT would be a rather impressive signal AND I believe the taller
tower would also permit quite an improvement in the night signal. All
that has to happen to make such a move possible is for the late Otto
Miller's plan to donate the WESX site to the town of Marblehead to
fall through. That might happen--or it might not. But if it did
happen, Keating would still have to act to relocate WNSH to the more
desirable site.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367