It's Official: WPEP-AM Defunct

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Sun Oct 28 01:39:37 EDT 2007

<<On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 23:52:26 -0400, Scott Fybush <scott@fybush.com> said:

> And even if WNSH didn't implement its power increase, there's no way to
> get the WPEP facility back once it's been surrendered - they don't issue
> new class D licenses now, and when they're gone, they're gone.

That's not entirely true.  You can't get a license for a new class-D
facility, yes, but a class-B station can voluntarily surrender its
nighttime authority and thereby become a class-D.  This has happened
with some frequency (and indeed Alex Langer did it to my neighbors at
1060 in Natick) in the recent past as marginal class-B stations have
found the land for a nighttime DA to be worth more than the night
signal.

(Something just occurred to me....  It should be technically possible
to triplex 1510 onto the 890/1060 site in Ashland, with a community
change to, say, Needham.  Would that actually be an improvement over
the current 1510 night signal?  They obviously couldn't open up the
pattern much if any, but they could put more of the western suburbs on
the front side rather than the back.  How much would they lose?
[There is the problem that those towers are nearly 300 degrees at
1510.])

-GAWollman