It's Official: WPEP-AM Defunct

Jeff Lehmann jjlehmann@comcast.net
Sun Oct 28 00:03:13 EDT 2007

> But to answer another question, the disappearance of WPEP's nighttime
> 200-some watts doesn't do anything for WNSH at night. That's because
> WPEP was a class D station, which received no nighttime interference
> protection to begin with, thus creating no holes at night by going away.
>
> And even if WNSH didn't implement its power increase, there's no way to
> get the WPEP facility back once it's been surrendered - they don't issue
> new class D licenses now, and when they're gone, they're gone.

I wonder if 1530 WVBF Middleboro will now consider changing their calls to
WPEP now that 1570 is gone? When I tuned by 1530 this morning, they seemed
to have local shows on, probably formerly on 1570. I'll have to listen
during the week to see if any more of the TIC network shows have been
replaced.

I'd think the WPEP calls would mean more to local AM radio listeners in the
Middleboro/Taunton area than WVBF.

Jeff Lehmann
Hanson, MA