Howie belongs to WRKO

Doug Drown revdoug1@verizon.net
Thu Oct 18 14:34:36 EDT 2007

<<What if cross-ownership laws were to be relaxed
(read something online about it yesterday); imagine
a certain newspaper just down the street partnering
with Greater to create a sports talk or news/sports/talk
station.>>

>From a legal standpoint (I'm writing very much as a layman), I don't think
there's any reason why such a partnership wouldn't be feasible now.  The
Portland Newspapers (Blethen-owned) have been in a news partnership with
Hearst-Argyle's WMTW-TV for some time.

Relaxation of media cross-ownership is about to be discussed by the FCC.
Personally, I have no problem with the idea, except that I feel strongly
that a media company should be allowed to own a daily newspaper and only ONE
AM-FM or radio-TV combo in a given community.  We've got enough duopolies,
triopolies, quadropolies and otherwise multi-"opoly" ownerships already
without making the problem worse.

-Doug

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Nelson" <raccoonradio@mail.com>
To: "Maureen Carney" <m_carney@yahoo.com>; "Boston Radio Group"
<boston-radio-interest@lists.BostonRadio.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2007 11:32 AM
Subject: Re: Howie belongs to WRKO

>>It may be flipping WBOS to sports and
shooting at WEEI as well. I really think that the Red
Sox would be willing to partner on the deal (which is
the only way this would work).

What if cross-ownership laws were to be relaxed
(read something online about it yesterday); imagine
a certain newspaper just down the street partnering
with Greater to create a sports talk or news/sports/talk
station. You know, the paper whose parent
company owns 17 per cent of the Sox?
(Not that daily newspaper/radio station combos
always work; see "Washington Post Radio")

>>The Sox may be able to use NESN and Globe people to
staff the station, and a year from now make a play for
Glenn Ordway.

A domain name or two --and even a preliminary logo--
for "the Ticket 92.9" --was found online recently.
GM may have been considering flipping WBOS to
sports and maybe getting Dennis and Callahan,
if available.