WODS & WROR Flip To All Christmas

Sid Schweiger sid@wrko.com
Wed Nov 14 16:17:31 EST 2007

>>I wonder if its that they think that music stations "should always
be" aimed at a 'young' demographic, and don't want to be seen as
catering to the "55-to-dead" market.  Which is all a matter of
perception, not reality, of course.<<

The reality is that those who buy time on radio stations, especially
the agencies through which almost all regional, national and network
business is placed, will not buy 55+ demos.  It's not that there aren't
enough of them.  It's not that they don't listen to radio.  It's not
that they won't buy advertised products.  The reason is that they are
much more difficult to sway from their habits (and brand names become a
habit as you get older).  The agencies claim there are a substantial
number of perceptual studies out there which prove it, although I can't
claim to have ever seen one.

Now...with the aging of the baby-boom generation, that reality may be
in the process of changing.  BUT:  Until you convince Madison Avenue of
it, things will continue as they are.  I'm not saying I agree with it.
I'm not even saying that I believe it myself.  Heck, it may actually be
one enormous lie.  But they do believe it...and that's the reality the
radio business must contend with.

Sid Schweiger
IT Manager, Entercom New England
WAAF - WEEI AM/FM - WKAF