WODS & WROR Flip To All Christmas

Bob Nelson raccoonradio@mail.com
Wed Nov 14 14:34:46 EST 2007

It is true that oldies is a moving target and as people age out of profitable demos,
the focus shifts to 60s and 70s, 70s and 80s, etc. Still it would be interesting to
hear some pre-Beatles stuff once in awhile, etc. (And not just the ballads
either.)

When in Vermont this past weekend, I listened to and taped the long running
"My Place" show on VT Public Radio which spotlights early rock, with songs, rarities, and trivia.
Nolan Strong, Carole King & Gerry Goffin, Neil Sedaka, and early Smokey
Robinson were covered. We got to hear not only Neil's hit "Oh Carol" (about
Ms. King) but Carole's followup, the hilarious "Oh Neil" in which she
portrays herself as a Tennessee teen who's plumb fallen in love with
Neil...and uh oh, here comes her hillbilly dad with a shotgun!
Great to hear "alternative oldies" like that! (And I believe that
novelty song helped Carole get a big boost in the music business.
And now you know...the rest of the story!)

Occasionally on my WMWM blues show (I'm on once every couple
months) I'll dig out Chuck Berry or Fats Domino, etc...
and point out how a certain oldies station down the dial
no longer plays them.