WODS & WROR Flip To All Christmas

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Wed Nov 14 16:41:00 EST 2007

<<On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 14:17:31 -0700, "Sid Schweiger" <sid@wrko.com> said:

> The reality is that those who buy time on radio stations, especially
> the agencies through which almost all regional, national and network
> business is placed, will not buy 55+ demos.

I would suggest that there is at least one other factor involved.

If you listen to the sort of advertising that does run today on
older-skewing radio stations and cable channels, most of it screams
"OLD".  I suspect that too much of this advertising may drive away
younger listeners/viewers by sending them the message "this
programming is intended for your parents" (impotence drugs,
heart-disease drugs, AARP image ads, Medicare supplemental insurance
plans, people who will help you cheat the government out of the cost
of your nursing-home care, etc.).  So even formats that ought to have
broad appeal, like all-news, may end up in a vicious cycle of
self-reinforcing 55+ demos.

I wonder if advertising fatigue more generally doesn't play a part in
the declining national TV audience for baseball....  There's only so
many spot breaks consisting of three beer ads, three car ads, one for
a sporting-goods store, and two drug ads before you start wanting to
smash your television.  (Particularly the drug ads, which are
uniformly awful.)

-GAWollman