More Boston-area brokered-time AMs

Dan Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Fri Nov 9 10:07:22 EST 2007

II have my doubts about whether the FCC will OK a WESX move to the WLYN
stick. Such a move would put the entire Nahant peninsula in an area of
prohibited overlap of 25 mV/m contours between WESX and WMKI. The
applicant's claim that this area should be disregarded because it is not
within WMKI's contiguous service area seems bogus to me.

>From what I've heard, Otto Miller's company (Principal Radio LLC--or
something like that) has survived his death and has apparently not lost a
step. I don't know the name of the new CEO, but I read somewhere that he is
in place at the company. If I'm not mistaken, he is, as was Miller, an
alumnus of Arthur Liu's Multicultural Radio Broadcasting Inc (WLYN and WAZN
locally). Moreover, I believe that Principal (or is it Principle?) recently
closed on its $14M acquisition of a HUGE suburban New York signal, WLIE 540
Islip LI, which the company had been LMAing for its brokered Spanish
religious format.

Four or five years ago, shortly after WLIE increased to 2500W days, I picked
it up clearly on the New York Thruway's Mass Turnpike Connector east of
Albany--well over 100 miles north of Islip. The station was also near-local
on the Jersey Turnpike just outside of Trenton NJ. I've also picked up WLIE
weakly, while parked near Marlborough. Phenomenal daytime signal AND WLIE
holds a CP for a further daytime power increase to 4500W. That would require
moving a tower and returning to Class D status. Not sure it's a great idea.

As for WNSH, if WESX is staying put in Marblehead, WNSH should move to the
WESX site. Equal coverage with a 75% reduction in the power bill. Of course,
there would be a rental fee for use of the tower, so maybe the 75% reduction
overstates the savings. It should not be a big deal to skirt the top of the
WESX tower to electrically shorten it to ~190 degrees at 1570 (WESX, though
nominally 1 kW, actually runs only about 600W, so it could increase its
power to compensate for the modest loss in efficiency.) The result would be
that WNSH, running less than 7500W could equal the coverage it gets from
30-kW at Endicott College and might be able to significantly increase its
night power--maybe to something close to the 227W that WPEP used to run.
With the huge increase in antenna efficiency, the increase in night coverage
ought to be be quite noticeable.

--
Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@att.net
eFax 707-215-6367