WNSH

Dan Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Thu Nov 8 15:56:23 EST 2007

Don: WNSH is nondirectional (day and night). What looks like a directional
pattern at radio-locator.com is simply the result of the wldly different
ground conductivities that exist side by side here in southeastern New
England. Within feet of each other, we have rock, which is about as poor a
conductor as can be found in nature (I guess outer space is worse) and salt
water, which is very good--not as good as solid copper, but you don't find
solid copper in nature; you find ore, which is nowhere near as good a
conductor.

WNSH originally applied to increase to 50 kW-D DA with a pattern aimed north
over Essex County, but Keating had had such rotten luck with directional
arrays that he wasn't anxious to go through the experience again and didn't
want to spend the money, so he applied to reduce the proposed power to 30
kW-D ND and that's what he built. He says it's on the air now at the full 30
kW. The signal where I live (Arlington Heights near the Lexington line just
north of Route 2) is wretched--at least for that kind of power at that
distance with a bit of the path either over or nearby salt water. Based on
loudness and background noise, I estimate the signal strength to be in the
neighborhood of 1.5 mV/m, which is listenable on a good radio but not very
strong. For comparison, WCRN's signal here is about 2.1 mV/m by day and a
little stronger at night. It's not a good signal either.

There is no real chance that a knowledgeable buyer would buy either station
for its coverage of Boston.
--
Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@att.net
eFax 707-215-6367