WNSH

Don A donald_astelle@yahoo.com
Thu Nov 8 14:20:00 EST 2007

I had the opportunity earlier this week to drive from northern Vermont into
Boston and used it as a chance to check out the new daytime signal for WNSH.
(It's always interesting to see how a 'proposed' facility upgrade actually
turns out!)

I started to pick up the signal just south on Manchester at Rts 93/293.

The signal strength increased as I got closer to the Mass/NH border...but
when I entered Massachusetts, I was surprised at how bad the signal was.

Judging from this map:

http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=WNSH&service=AM&status=C&hours=D

   ...WNSH should have been a reliable signal once I crossed the border.
ANd while the signal was "there"....I could hear some station in the
background fighting it out with them.  (Whats the next nearest station I
would pick up on 1570AM during the day? I don't have my database with me.)

Once I crossed over 128/95 the signal was very usable and very reliable (as
the map indicates it should be), and stayed that way until I got into
downtown Boston traffic.

While it appears the intended directional pattern is going where it out to
be, I am surprised the signal wasn't as reliable and useful in the areas
just outside it's primary contours.

Someone on the list said there is an issue with ground/soil conuctivity?

I hope there are more conversations with the consulting engineers before
this is considered a "done deal".

While this no doubt gives WNSH a stronger signal in their
hometown/COL....and a stronger signal coverage to the north (Gloucester,
etc.)...it doesn't appear to have given them the added area that I imagined
from reading the documentation.

I think some field test readings should be on the to-do list.