WNSH

dan.strassberg@att.net dan.strassberg@att.net
Tue Nov 6 16:36:28 EST 2007

I am dumbfounded. I knew that the new signal would not be a world-beater, but even with what I learned from your application about the low antenna efficiency, I am truly surprised at how awful the signal is! (I live in Arlington, near the Lexington line, just north of Route 2. I have a few decent AM radios including a Super Radio III. Based on loudness and background noise, I judge WNSH's signal here to be in the neighborhood of 1.5 mV/m.) The signal sounds roughly equivalent to WESX's 600 or so watts. (WESX's power is nominally 1 kW, but it is throttled back because of the very efficient half-wave antenna.) I find it hard to believe that WNSH's signal is equivalent to 15 kW from a normal minimally efficient Class D radiator. That power and efficiency would produce an RMS field of about 1080 mV/m @ 1 km. Are you SURE everything is working correctly? Are you modulating normally (125% on positive peaks, near 0% on negative peaks)? If everything really is working as intended, I could
easily believe that WNSH has America's dead worst 30-kW AM signal! Sure, you are serving Essex county, but 30 kW--even from an antenna that is well below Class D minimum efficiency, should produce a much better signal than what I am hearing.

--
dan.strassberg@att.net
eFax 707-215-6367

-------------- Original message from Keating Willcox <kwillcox@wnsh.com>: --------------