The Jibguy's ratings

Eli Polonsky elipolo@earthlink.net
Fri May 4 18:47:08 EDT 2007

> > From: Aaron Read <readaaron@friedbagels.com>
> To: boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org
> Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 12:05:13 -0400
> Subject: Re: The Jibguy's ratings
>
> ... it would almost make sense for a station like WMBR or
> WZBC to put in an HD Radio rig and rebroadcast WJIB on an
> HD2 or HD3 signal. They wouldn't care so much about making
> money as just doing a "community service", which few could
> argue that WJIB doesn't provide!.. take advantage of the
> listener base to increase fundraising potential; have some
> kind of revenue sharing deal with Bob or something like that.

Wouldn't be a bad idea for the future, except for that WMBR
is not interested in pursuing ways to increase fundraising
potential. They're comfortable with the amount they already
make between their one annual fundraising week every autumn
(annual average $75k) and an annual stipend from MIT ($15k).
It's all they need to run the modest, completely volunteer
operation that they are. Even paying MIT almost all of it
in 2003 ($80k) to finally install air conditioning in the
station didn't put them anywhere near financial trouble.

I haven't been at WZBC in many years, but I hear that they
feel the same way. Though I think they may have one paid
managerial consultant, they don't appear to be concerned
with pursuing increasing or maximizing their fundraising.

EP