WESX on the move?

Dan Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Sun Mar 11 11:02:49 EST 2007

I believe that a station can indeed "leave" its CoL without questions from
the FCC PROVIDED that the station IS NOT the ONLY broadcast service licensed
to the community. This brings up the question of just what constitutes a
station. Does a translator qualify? I don't know and I'm not sure that the
answer has been settled. I certainly think that, in the WESX case, WMWM
qualifies, but I could be wrong because WMWM is noncommercial.

Interestingly, I saw nothing in Miller's application that refers
specifically to WMWM. Instead, the emphasis is on all of the stations--AM
and FM--that deliver city-grade signals to Salem. Now, a rational person
might say that that is indeed the issue, but up to the present, it is not
how I've ever seen the Funny Cookie Company look at it. The FCC has always
wanted to ensure that a community to which one or more stations is licensed
retains at least one licensed station. Now, Miller will be doing station
owners a HUGE favor if he can establish a new precedent: that Salem is a
community within an area that has many broadcast signals and Salem's loss of
a signal that is licensed to it and provides it with CoL-grade coverage does
not come close to depriving the city of a plethora of other broadcast
services that, even though they are licensed to other communities (in this
case, mostly to Boston), meet the CoL-coverage criteria for Salem. Because
of WMWM, it may be unnecessary for Miller to establish this new precedent in
order to have his application granted, but if he establishes the precedent,
he will have overturned a principal that many people have, for decades,
maintained is a pointless cornerstone of FCC allocation policy.

As for Marblehead wanting to take the WESX property as open land, does
anybody know whose idea this was originally? The town's or Miller's? If it
was Miller's, especially if he is compensated for the taking (which I would
think he would be), the FCC could accuse him of being less than candid in
his application. In this day and age, I greatly doubt that such a finding
would affect the FCCs judgment of his fitness to be a broadcast licensee,
but it certainly COULD result in his application being tied up in FCC
paperwork for a long, long, long time.

--
Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@att.net
eFax 707-215-6367