WCRN, higher power, and the Red Sox

Dan Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Fri Mar 9 14:36:55 EST 2007

No! The WVEI information is backwards! This is an error in the FCC's CDBS. I
brought the problem to Entercom's attention a couple of years ago and they
chose to ignore it. To fix what you see at radio-locator.com, just flip the
pattern 180 degrees about the axis of the towers (80.2 degrees). However, if
you have a plot of the augmented pattern, fixing it is not so easy because,
although the unuagmented pattern is flipped, the augmentations are not. The
result is a pattern plot that is a complete mess and is not easily
corrected. If WVEI's night coverage were what you see at radio-locator (or
in any plot based on the CDBS data) the station could not be licensed to
Worcester because the transmitter site is west of Worcester (as is WCRN's,
but WCRN's is about 10 miles further west) and WVEI's radiation minima
appear (erroneously) to lie to the east of the transmitter site (that is to
say, over Worcester). In fact, the minima lie west of Worcester.

WVEI and WCRN have rather similar night patterns but WCRN covers a lot more
real estate because of its higher power, lower frequency, and very likely a
lower NIF. I don't know what WVEI's NIF is, but from what I've heard people
say, 1440 is pretty noisy around here at night. WCRN's NIF is about 10.5
mVm, which means that when it runs the full 50 kW at night (I don't think
they are doing that yet; most likely they are running 12.5 kW; the FCC
customarily limits directional AMs to 1/4 of the proposed power until a
license to cover is granted), its NIF contour will reach Framingham. The
signal should be easily listenable to 128 and still pretty good--except for
the awful fades--quite far inside of 128.

--
Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@att.net
eFax 707-215-6367